Re: [squid-users] Squid in DMZ Help

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 23:42:59 -0400

Sounds like a bit of a mess here, but I'll take a stab at it.

> have been working for 3 weeks in a lab network test that has
> the following layout:

> Internet---ExternalFirewall--Squid--InternalFirewall--LAN

Okay - you have a basic DMZ setup.

> The LAN clients are SecureNat having the InternalFirewall's
> (an ISA Server) LAN Interface as Gateway.
> I want Squid to act as a Proxy Server to my LAN Clients

Should be pretty simple:

1) Set the ISA server to only provide firewall and NAT service - make sure it
does not do any proxying on its own. Make sure you allow access to TCP port
3128 on the Squid box through the ISA server.

2) Configure the browsers on the LAN clients to use the Squid box as a proxy
and the ISA server as the default gateway.

3) Start with the default squid.conf (which is pretty reasonable) and make
those changes necessary for your environment. Make sure the Squid box uses
the External Firewall as its default gateway, and the External Firewall lets
the Squid box make requests to TCP port 80 on servers on the Internet.

You failed to mention which version of Squid you are using (the output of
squid -v will tell you if you don't know).

Adam