Re: [squid-users] FTP over squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 14:05:07 +0200

fre 2003-09-12 klockan 12.30 skrev oleg-s:
> On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 02:25:52 -0700 (PDT)
> Abdul Khader <abdulkhader7862003@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am a newbi to squid. I would like to know if I can
> > do ftp over squid. By default it does not do ftp. I
> > would be obliged of any early help.
>
> check your Safe_ports acl and see if port 20 (ftp data) among them.

Not relevant. Squid is NOT a FTP proxy and there will never be a request
for port 20 via Squid. (or at least there never should be a request for
port 20, if there is it almost certainly is a hacker doing something
nasty)

The FTP server may make use of port 20 at the FTP server when a HTTP
client have requested a ftp:// object via Squid but this is a completely
different question and not even a requirement by the FTP protocol.

Squid IS NOT a FTP proxy. Squid is a HTTP proxy. HTTP proxies can
operate on ftp:// URLs when requested to do so by HTTP clients, but HTTP
proxies are NOT FTP proxies.

The main difference between what is a HTTP proxy and what is a FTP proxy
(apart from quite different functionality) is in what protocol is used
between the client and the proxy. In case of a HTTP proxy the HTTP
protocol is used between the client and the proxy and the client can ask
the proxy via HTTP to operate on basically any kind of URL but with the
semantics of the HTTP protocol.

In case of FTP proxies the client talks FTP to the proxy using any of
the FTP proxy models (user@host etc), and the proxy can normally only
operate on FTP objects with the semantics of the FTP protocol.

If you need a FTP proxy then use a FTP proxy such as frox. Squid is NOT
a FTP proxy. Squid is a HTTP proxy. In the same manner frox is NOT a
HTTP proxy, frox is a FTP proxy. If you need both proxy types then run
both software on the same server (or different servers, your choice).

Regards
Henrik

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before