[squid-users] Re: Squid/LDAP/eDirectory

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:41:23 +0200

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 07.03, jeff.richards@centrelink.gov.au
wrote:

> I am looking to have Squid 2.5 authenticate connection requests
> against a Novell eDirectory 8.62 server. A neat solution from my
> point of view is to configure Squid to use the supplied LDAP
> helper, across SSL.

Which the supplied helper does just fine, and several people use this
for Novell NDS integration via LDAP and I see no reason why it should
nor work with eDirectory as well.

> Is there any reason why I should additionally look at PAM
> authentication? Are there any potential benefits over what I have
> described above?

None I can see.. only complications..

PAM is mostly useful if you have the UNIX server already integrated
into some authentication system and you want to use the same for
Squid authentication.

i.e. if the UNIX server where you run Squid is already fully
integrated into your eDirectory domain, allowing login/pop3/imap etc
using accounts from eDirectory then using the same setup via PAM for
Squid may be appropriate. However, even then it is often preferable
to use the native Squid helpers in favor of the PAM based helper if
the native helpers can do the job.

Regards
Henrik