Re: [squid-users] Squid3: ftp gateway in accelerator mode

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:17:53 +0200

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 02.04, Jim Flowers wrote:
> Did I then misunderstand your earlier response, to wit:
>
> "What is possible is to set up http access to the content of the
> FTP server via a redirector rewriting the accelerated URLs to
> ftp://, but you can not connect to Squid using FTP."
>
> Do I have to do both redirector rewrite and always_direct?

Basically yes.

1. The URL forwarded by Squid needs to be a ftp:// URL

2. The request needs to be forwarded directly to the server, not via a
cache_peer.

Or slightly longer version:

The URL processed by Squid needs to become a ftp:// URL. This can
either be accomplished by using the squid-3 protocol= http(s)_port
option to make all http request received on that port processed as if
they were requests for ftp:// URLs, or by using a redirector helper
depending on how/when you want Squid to read the request as a request
for a ftp:// object. Using a redirector gives full freedom allowing
you to for example map http://www.example.com/pub/ to a FTP server
but any other http://www.example.com/ requests to a web server.

Then the requests which should end up in a FTP server needs to be
always_direct to be forwarded using FTP to the FTP server. cache_peer
is always HTTP (or HTTP over SSL if the peer is ssl enabled)

The client needs to connect to Squid using http:// or https:// as this
is the two types of ports where Squid can accept requests (http_port
or https_port).

Regards
Henrik