[squid-users] ldap auth config quiestion

From: <Jerry_Harbour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 11:40:49 -0500

Hello all,
    I'm attempting to setup a httpd_accel squid server to allow users from
the internet to access one of our intranet servers. Must have secure
access via ssl and the users must authenticate their userid and password
with our ldap server. I have ssl mode reverse proxy working but after
having read what I think is every ldap post in the archive, I'm still
struggling with getting squid_ldap_auth to work.
Squid2.5stable3 freshly compiled on redhat9.
LotusNotes Domino 5 LDAP server.

  For testing, I setup a MS outlook client configured with the user name
and password I can search the ldap server for all the names in the
LotusNotes address book. However, I cannot get squid_ldap_auth to provide
the username and password prior to the search. I see this with a sniffer
on the line. The outlook client seen the userid and passwd in the ldap
bind request, then follows with the search.

  Should I configure my ldap server for anonymous access in order for
squid_ldap_auth to work? Otherwise, how should I formulate the command for
squid_ldap_auth to provide the userid and passwd on the ldap bind attempt?
Or maybe there is another ldap auth module that will work with a ldap
server that does not allow anonymous access? One last question: provided
squid_ldap_auth works with the ldap server that requires users to log on,
will it do secure password authentication?

thanks very much for your help, Jerry.