Re: [squid-users] 2003/08/13 08:20:21| httpAccept: FD 15: accept failure: (24) Too many open files

From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:37:09 -0400

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 08:23:31PM +0200, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> A reasonable amount is at least 3 * number of concurrent users. In

ok, so we are only guessing, but there could be anywhere from 1000-2000
concurrent users during peak times. a limit of 6000 FDs would not be
unreasonable then?

> Note: The default limit for files on Solaris is usually 1024 with a
> soft limit of 256, allowing non-root users to change their files
> ulimit up to 1024. Squid automatically sets the ulimit as high as
> possible on startup, but you may need to raise it manually while
> building Squid.

before starting squid (su from root) i set nofiles to unlimited, then
start squid. however, pfiles shows:

brian@ghsl011ptlge$ sudo pfiles 6369 | head
6369: (squid) -D
  Current rlimit: 512 file descriptors

this doesn't look like it's doing what i want. how can i set this up so
that squid gets the proper number of FDs?

thanks!!

-brian

--
"You know, evil comes in many forms, be it a man-eating cow or Joseph Stalin.
But you can't let the package hide the pudding. Evil is just plain bad! You