Re: [squid-users] Configuring multiple network card

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:44:32 +0200

On Monday 11 August 2003 02.52, Mathew Thomas wrote:

> How can I configure the squid and network-card so that one netwok
> card will be used for talking to the faculty proxy servers and
> another card for fetching the pages from internet? I believe, this
> way things might be little faster.

One more note: Assuming you are using full-duplex connections and
there is no bottlenecks in the network between you and the local
servers + internet gateway then there is no noticeable benefit from
having multiple NIC connections in terms of performance unless you
need higher bandwidth than one NIC can provide.

If there is bottlenecks in the local network such as a overloaded
firewall etc then having different conenctions to different sides of
the bottleneck will obviously help, but it is probably more
preferable to address the bottleneck directly than to try to bypass
it.

So it boils down to that the main benefit of having multiple NIC
connections is more in the area of redundancy than performance. A
prorperly set up multi-NIC configuration may surive even if one NIC
(or cable) crashes.

Regards
Henrik