Re: [squid-users] Files appearing on user's desktop?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:52:27 +0100

On Monday 27 January 2003 21.18, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 02:18, Alex Short wrote:
> > One of my users complained that these two files magically
> > appeared on their desktop one day. They use a squid proxy using
> > an automagic proxy url, http://domain/proxy.pac
> >
> > Just wondering if people have had these where suddenly new files
> > appear on desktop :)
>
> Well they've nothing to do with squid per se - I'd try a google and
> see if there is a virus or some such that uses those files.

Or maybe the proxy.pac server is giving out the wrong content type at
times, making the browsers confused about what they should do with
the proxy configuration script. I have not tested, but would not be
surpriced if some browers do ask where to save the pac script if it
had the wrong mime type such as application/octetstream or another
type which are commonly downloaded, and as we know most users click
the OK button rather than cancel, and the save dialog usually starts
at the desktop..

Anyway, as you say it has nothing to with Squid per se.

Regards
Henrik