Re: [squid-users] compiling squid on dev machine, then moving to productionmachine

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 14:29:43 +0100

Mike Cudmore wrote:

> I am trying to move a compiled binary from my dev machine to a
> production machine.
>
> Is there a "proper" way to do this ?

 Depends , many issues are at stake here :

 Normally this can only work, if the production machines
 has the same architecture/os/version then the development machine.
 Or for 'normal os-es' if the architecture/os/version is of the
 production machine is 'higher' then that of the development box.

 If not : then care must be taken of issues such as :

  - binary compatibility
  - shared lib issues, if os-level of production machine is lower
 then development box, problems are likely to occur which the exe loader
 of the os will almost immediately give an error for , if it is a good
one.

 To avoid these and since SQUID is not that difficult to
configure-compile,
 you may want to take the safe road.
 Do it all the way on the intended SQUID box.

 M.

> I am troubleshooting each error OK, but feel that I may miss something
> subtle yet vital.
>
> Any pointers appreciated
>
> Regards
> Mike Cudmore
> GSI & Intranet Connectivity Team

> This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are private and
> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
> they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
> the E-mail and any files have been transmitted to you in error
> and any copying, distribution or other use of the information
> contained in them is strictly prohibited.
>
> Nothing in this E-mail message amounts to a contractual
> or other legal commitment on the part of the Government
> unless confirmed by a communication signed on behalf of
> the Secretary of State.
>
> The Department's computer systems may be monitored
> and communications carried on them recorded, to secure
> the effective operation of the system and for other lawful
> purposes.

 'Time is a consequence of Matter thus
 General Relativity is a direct consequence of QM
 (M.E. Mar 2002)