Re: [squid-users] OT - Voice chat and IP telephony

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 15:12:05 +0100

Michael Fuller wrote:

> We are using Squid 2.5 stable 1 on our network. Users in Senior Management
> want to Voice chat using MSN or Yahoo and also use IP telephony from
> Net2Phone etc. I think that this cannot be done with squid alone. How do I
> provide this functionality only to some select users ? I dont want to NAT
> these IP addresses.

You need a proxy for each of the protocols these softwares use.

I am not familiar with the details of these two tools, but I have mainly
seen 3 protocols

 a) Some protocol encapsulated over HTTP

 b) H.323 (Netmeeting etc).

 c) SIP

'a' can be proxied by Squid.

'b' and 'c' requires separate proxy daemons or NAT.

Regards
Henrik