Re: [squid-users] Peace of mind

From: Maarten J H van den Berg <maarten@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 19:45:19 +0200

On Thursday 30 May 2002 18:46, you wrote:
> It's hard to admit but I'm a newbie here. I've been toying with Linux
> for about a year and I've never touched Squid in my life. I've got a
> few C programming classes under my belt but I'm not a developer by any
> standard. I'm getting ready to jump in head first by installing a Linux
> server on my network with ETInc Bandwidth Manager and Squid and I'm
> scared as hell. The BW manager is pretty simple so I'll muddle my way
> through that but Squid will be my first time implimenting open source
> software on my own.
>
> What I'm looking for is some reassurance that I'm not getting in over
> my head. I'm gonna be relying on this thing to do some serious work
> for me and if I can't get a handle on it pretty quick, I'm gonna be
> screwed. Let me know I'm not out of my mind please...

Toying with linux, or toying with the thought of running linux ?

Tackling squid shouldn't be too much of a problem. But if you need to
learn _all_of_linux_ as well in an [un]reasonably short timespan, you're
headed for some um... "interesting" times... By that I mean that linux
still has (though it's getting much better) a steep learning curve.
So if your project goal is "I boot a linux CD for the first time in my
life by monday, and by friday everythings runs smoothly" then you'll
doubtlessly have some unpleasant surprises.
Other than that, you shouldn't have too many worries... ;-)
Setting up a standalone squid proxy -once you know what to change in the
(long!) configfile and where it's at- is a matter of minutes.
Basically I tend to leave just about 98% at its default setting, which is
fine. I change the IP settings, and an ACL or two and tweak some tidbits.

Good luck,
Maarten

--
Maarten J. H. van den Berg   ~~//~~   network administrator
van Boetzelaer van Bemmel  -  Amsterdam  -  The Netherlands