Re: [squid-users] DNS cache-only server question

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 07:26:32 +0200

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> I understand what you're saying but I don't believe some of your
> points are 100% correct. I'm not trying to bite the gift horse in the
> mouth mind you. :)
>
> I did an 'strace' on ping to see what it's doing. I can see that it's
> also 'talking' to port 53 as is SQUID.

ping is not bound by the requirement of only accepting FQDN names, so it
allows for searches according to your search path configured in
/etc/resolv.conf unless you give it a FQDN (the trailing dot forces FQDN
notation). Squid does not by standards requirements.

> So why do I need this done? I realize that it's an RFC violation but
> the RFC didn't consider the situation where I'm in a test environment.

Which is why we have /etc/hosts to deal with the odd cases. /etc/hosts
isn't bound by the hierarchical restrictions set out by DNS, allowing
one to create whatever FQDN names one want (including new toplevel
names).

Hmm.. maybe built-in /etc/hosts is support isn't in 2.4.. let me check.
Nope. Sorry about that. For /etc/hosts support you need to get the
current development version from
http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/, or compile your squid with
--disable-inernal-dns and set up /etc/nsswitch.conf to use hosts before
dns.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker