Re: [SQU] squid slower than without

From: Shaun Jurrens <shaun.jurrens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:30:15 +0200

On Fri, Oct 27, 2000 at 11:19:36AM -0700, Rick Kunze wrote:
#> Hi All,
#>
#> I've been running Squid for a year or 2 now, generally a small cache with
#> default settings. Lately, I've been playing with a larger setup on a BSDI
#> box. The setup is an AMD K6/450 with 320 meg of RAM and a 9 gig Ultra SCSI
#> drive. I've deviated from the default squid.conf in only 2 ways; I've set
#> the "mem" to 100 meg and the "dir" to 5000/16/256.

I'd suggest you first take the time to read the Users Guide and FAQ. There are more than enough suggestions about setting up and tuning your cache. If you can't answer the question: "What is your avg_obj_size?" or "How does that affect my cache_dir settings?" You need to go read first.
#>
#> When I first boot it up, and the cache size is small, like 20 or 30 meg,
#> it's real snappy. But a day or so later when the cache has reached it's
#> limit, like 180 - 200 meg, pointing a browser at the proxy makes browsing
#> slower than without the proxy.

Again, you probably (depending on your load) need to read a little about the cache_swap_* settings. There are also a number of new cache algorithms, if you haven't changed your setup much in the last "year or two"
#>
#> I am not in a bandwidth starved environment and I'm wondering if it might
#> just be that simple. That is, my T-1 is only reaching about 60% on peaks
#> according to the 5 minute average graph on MRTG. Could it be that the
#> circuit itself is faster than the cache at this point or should squid
#> always be able to deliver quicker than the circuit?
#>
        I think you need to think about what a cache does. Latency is a question of (at least) whether you have a HIT or a MISS in the cache. Then there is everything from compile time options about malloc() libraries to whether you use select() or poll(). Before you get a handle on all this and pose a specific problem, don't expect too much help.

--
My options are my own.
Med vennlig hilsen / Best Regards