Re: [SQU] Host header munging?

From: Mike Suter <mike@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 17:55:32 -0500 (CDT)

> a) A private DNS or /etc/hosts to allow the accelerator to look up the
> backend server IP for the requested domains without having to rewrite
> the host component.

> b) A redirector to rewrite the external IP:s to preferred domain/host
> names when old clients connect without sending a ip, or when new clients
> connects by using the IP and not the domain name.

> and redirect_rewrites_host_header is left on to have Squid forward
> request with a Host header using a domain name instead of the IP on
> request in class b above. Class a passes thru unmodified.

This is basically what I'm doing - a+b (a for the host-header virtual
server, b for the older ip-based servers). We are using split DNS.

Unfortunately it didn't seem to work for me in the situation you
describe in (a).

ip #1 -> server #1
ip #2 -> server #2
ip #3 -> host-header server #3

www.domain1.com resolves to ip #1 externally, www.domain2.com resolves
to ip #2 externally, www.domain[3..n].com resolves to ip #3 on the
outside.

#1 and #2 work fine, but #3 does not. The server is ok though,
because when I replaced the accelerator config for #3 with a NAT
relationship (map ip #3 to internal server #3 IP), it did work.

> By playing some tricks with the redirector you can also split the
> forwarding based on the url_path if so is required (as is the case for
> one of the companies I have worked for.. there all servers must be
> available under the main address with different url paths, but might
> also be accessed using individual host/domain names.).

Yep, doing this too - this poor box is doing a bit of everything :)

Thanks,
Mike