Re: [Fwd: [SQU] chat logging]

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:20:09 +0200

At 11:53 23.10.00 +0530, K.Deepak wrote:
> As i did not get any replies, i am forwarding my
>question again. Please help me out in this case. I need to this very
>urgently.

You are very impatient. You sent your question less than 24 hours
ago, and it was Sunday. You can't expect answers from a mailing list
of benevolents as fast as that. Think about it.

>Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 15:43:21 +0530
>From: "K.Deepak" <kdeepak@india.adventnet.com>
>
> I using squid-1.1.22-2.src.rpm version of squid in a
>RedHat 5.2 pc. Everything is working fine and i am satisfied with the
>performance.

You should consider upgrading to a current version nevertheless.
This is a very old version and no more supported.

> Now, i would like to log the chat request which goes
>through squid. In my office most of the people chat thru ICQ and Yahoo.
>Please tell me how to log the chat sessions using squid. (Moreover,
>please note all the users in my office go thru squid only in order to
>access external web pages.)

If this is web-based chat then you already have in your Squid access.log
all the dates about who accessed the chat server when. This is all Squid
can do. It cannot log the contents of the chat.

If it is not web-based then Squid has nothing to do with it, and cannot
log it. Squid is a caching HTTP proxy, nothing else.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)