Re: [SQU] NTLM authentication?

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 10:14:10 +1100

Hi,
    I presume you downloaded the ntlm source via CVS? If so, please do a cvs
update. A number of issues were fixed and committed to CVS in the last
couple of days.

Do you want to a) verify the users passwords, or b) just find their username
using ntlm?

if b) then when you configure squid use soemthing
like --enable-ntlm-auth-modules=fakeauth --enable-ntlm-authentication. Those
two options will turn on the fakeauth helper which just gets the username
'securely' without prompting the user.

for a) you can either use a clear-text SMB helper (one of the standard mods)
or configure the ntlm source with
 --enable-ntlm-auth-modules=NTLMSSP --enable-ntlm-authentication
NTLMSSP uses a SAMBA or NT Domain controller to check the user's credentials
without putting the password on the wire.

I recommend you use the NTLMSSP helper as it is more secure than having the
passwords on the wire.

There is no manual as yet, however there have been a few discussions on this
list about it - try searching the archives.

Rob