[SQU] accelerator question

From: Al Funk <afunk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:45:33 -0400

Hello,

Any help appreciated!

I'm trying to set up a slow-server accelerator cache on port 80 residing
on the same machine as the main server (an Apache/mod_perl system, now
running on port 8080). The server is slow because it is a fully dynamic
app, and uses lots of memory to do its work; so squid seems a natural
speedup tool.

We host (currently) two sites using host-name (not IP-based) virtual
hosting. However, when trying to configure squid for this
configuration, it seems to force its connection not to the IP specified
in the httpd_accel_host line but to the Host: xxx specifier, which is
problematic because we run a server farm and none of the back-end
machines know their own DNS name. [ This also may be a security rules
violation, as I managed to get Squid to tap into a server using the
Host: header that was not within the acceleratedHost list specified in
the config file below. ] I need to be able to force only a connection
to a specific IP and have Squid request the virtual server using the
Host: header. How can this be done? I'm using Squid 2.3 STABLE4.

Thanks

-Al Funk
NC, Inc.

http_port 80
httpd_accel_host 127.0.0.1
httpd_accel_port 8080
httpd_accel_with_proxy off
httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
redirect_rewrites_host_header off

acl acceleratedHost src 127.0.0.1/255.255.255.255
acl acceleratedPort port 8080
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0

always_direct allow acceleratedHost
http_access allow acceleratedHost acceleratedPort
http_access deny all

cache_dir ufs /usr/local/squid/cachd 100 16 256
cache_access_log /usr/local/squid/logs/access.log
cache_log /usr/local/squid/logs/cache.log