Re: 32 bit I/O DMA and IDE drives

From: Dirk Moerenhout <dirk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 11:56:02 +0200 (CEST)

Normally the most important hdparm parameters are -u and -m when it comes
to speed. You really need -u 1 to work if you want to have good
performance with an IDE disk. For -m use something like -m 16.

If DMA is not used by default something fishy is going on and you must be
using outdated parts. You could still try it but any recent kernel will
turn on DMA if hardware allows it.

Enabling 32bit I/O gives as good as nothing as a gain.

Note that -u 1 may cause problems but at the same time it is the most
important tuning you need. And of course try to get some SCSI :-)

Dirk Moerenhout ///// System Administrator ///// Planet Internet NV