Re: Squid transparent Proxy

From: Ziya Suzen <ziya.suzen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 01:15:17 +0300

Matthias Meier wrote:

> Hello Ziya,
> I saw in the squid archiv that you had problems getting squid running in
> transparent mode.
> Because I have the same problems (Suse Linux 6.4 System with Kernel 2.2, and
> tried it hard).
>
> It seems that packets are transferred to the squid-Box but not to squid.
>
> Before I give up, I have following questions:
>
> 1) Did you get it finally running in transparent mode including WCCP?
yes. thank god.

> 2) If yes, may I get the complete config (squid.conf, which patches you
> installed, which exactly ipchain commands, etc. )

1- I havent had any pathces. only different is i used LFUDA instead of
LRU. I used the fallowing to configure before doing a make:
$./configure --enable-heap-replacement

2- The diff between my squid.conf and the squid.conf.default:
 http_port 8080
 maximum_object_size 65536 KB
 cache_dir ufs /cache1 3800 16 256
 cache_dir ufs /cache2 3800 16 256
 cache_dir ufs /cache3 3800 16 256
 cache_dir ufs /cache4 3800 16 256
 cache_store_log none
 replacement_policy LFUDA
 http_access allow all
 cache_mgr hostmaster@ebim.net
 cache_effective_user nobody
 cache_effective_group nobody
* httpd_accel_host virtual
* httpd_accel_port 80
* httpd_accel_with_proxy on
* httpd_accel_uses_host_header on
* wccp_router 194.x.x.x
! wccp_version 3
(*)essensial for wccp
(!)this depens on your cisco router.

3- Here is my router config (this may differ if your version is
different)
ip wccp enable
ip wccp redirect-list 161
!
interface Serial0
 description Upper Stream
 ip address 194.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
 ip web-cache redirect
!
access-list 161 permit ip 194.x.x.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 161 permit ip 212.x.x.0 0.0.31.255 any

4- And here is my rc.local start up lines:
modprobe ip_wccp
ipchains -A input -p tcp -d 0/0 www -j REDIRECT 8080
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/usr/local/squid/bin/RunCache &

5- For ip_wccp.c (which you can find a linf to download in FAQs) I found
it difficult to compile to ip_wccp.o and found out many people did from
the archive so here is my trick:
start a module compile for the kernel:
 /usr/src/linux/# make modules
copy a gcc line and swap the .c and the .o files with ip_wccp.c and
ip_wccp.o and compile it in a command line. there has to be no problems.
and then do what it says in FAQ. It should be all fine

6- The last thing i should mention is the problem with wccp vesions 0.3
and 0.4. This is nothing to do with running the wccp. You may have to
deal with this after you start running wccp. If your router stops
responding to any network traffic then you should try 0.3 instead of 0.4
like i did. Bu as I said before do not worry about this untill you run
wccp.

7- By the way I am using a redhat6.2 distribution as it is. I did not do
any kernel upgrades or anything. I think kernel is 2.2.14.

8- Never give up.

cheers
ziya