RE: Transparent cache problem: clients cannot refresh pages!

From: Alexandre K <Alexk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 20:13:37 +0200

>I managed to verify this, if IE 5 is configured with a proxy, every thing
is
>fine and the page refreshes, if the proxy is hit though transparent
>redirects, the page will not refresh... strange but true.

Of course!
Look at HTTP requests (captured with TCPDUMP). I have pressed
"Refresh/Reload" on the same URL (http://test.backbone.ch/collag/col6.jpg),
while capturing HTTP requests.
Normally, when you press Refresh, browser has to say to proxy that it is
"Refresh" operation, not just normal open, and that object MUST BE FETCHED
from source http server.
Browsers are using "Pragma: no-cache" in request to indicate this.

But MSIE 5 sends "Pragma: no-cache" ONLY when it knows about proxy server.
In comparision to MSIE, NC4.72 sends "Pragma: no-cache" always (and
transparent cache works nice with NC).

So squid cannot tell from MSIE request if it is Refresh or normal open.
And it is impossible to use Squid as a transparent cache with MSIE.
Now I am interested - is anybody really running transparent cache in
production environment ?

WBR,
Alex

====
This is MSIE 5 without configured proxy, Refresh button was pressed
GET /collag/col6.jpg HTTP/1.1
Accept: */*
Host: test.backbone.ch
Connection: Keep-Alive

This is MSIE 5 that KNOWS about proxy, Refresh button was pressed
GET http://test.backbone.ch/collag/col6.jpg HTTP/1.0
Accept: */*
Host: test.backbone.ch
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache

This is Netscape Communicator 4.72, Reload button was pressed
GET /collag/col6.jpg HTTP/1.0
If-Modified-Since: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 03:01:19 GMT; length=25229
Connection: Keep-Alive
Accept-Charset: iso-8859-1,*,utf-8