Re: Multihomed Squid and others...

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <mcc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2000 10:08:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Chris Conn wrote:

> > to have solved this... but now, after 4-5 days, the system looses all
> > networking. It doesn't crash; but it can't create outgoing network
> > connections or accept incoming ones. I doubt this is a Squid problem,
> > but I'd figure I better ask, as no other Linux server has ever done this
> > to me before. BTW, I am using the 3Com 3C905C network card with 3Com's
> > 3c59x.c driver... there is another driver available by third party, but
> > it doesn't want to shift the card into full duplex. Any thoughts?
>
> Hello,
>
> We have exactly the same problem. I recently upgraded to kernel 2.2.14
> and used the ip_local_port_range modification suggested by Mr Norstron and
> am waiting to see if it happens again. If our box loses networking again,
> we are going to change the NIC for a DLink. Box is a PIII-500 with 3Com
> 905B, now running Linux 2.2.14, 512MB RAM.

My experience with multi-homed systems running Squid would suggest that the
problem is related to the 3Com NIC or its device drivers.

Currently, I have 5 dual-processor 550 MHz Pentium III systems running Squid
2.2STABLE5 under BSD/OS 4.1. Each system has 2 Intel EtherExpress Pro
10/100 NICs.

I have several other older systems running under BSD/OS 4.01 that have a
combination of Intel and TigerLAN NICs. These are in the process of being
upgraded to the above configuration.

Merton Campbell Crockett