(no subject)

From: Eric Calvert <eric@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:17:51 -0500

I recently started dabbling with setting up a squid proxy server. I had
recently purchased the RedHat 5.1 Linux/Secure Web Server combination, and
squid came with it. I installed RH5.1 on a fresh spare machine. I then
installed the Secure Web Server with all the optional parts (including
squid-novm-1.1.21). I set up squid as per the RH manual and the QUICKSTART
file in the docs. The following are the changes I made to the
/etc/squid.conf file:

cache_mem 8
cache_swap 100

acl allowed_hosts src xxx.xxx.xxx.0/255.255.255.0

http_access allow allowed_hosts
http_access deny all

icp_access allow allowed_hosts
icp_access deny all

cache_mgr webmaster@caveland.net

NOTE: I did replace the xxx's with the appropriate numbers for my /24.

I started squid. Loaded up a web browser on another machine, and pointed
set it up to use the new proxie (http: proxy on port 3128). But every time
I try to load a web page, squid craps out with a message saying that "FATAL:
Somebody is putting a NULL pointer." I've searched the FAQ's, and couldn't
find any hints, so I'm hoping for some from the list.

TIA,

Eric Calvert
Caveland Connection
http://www.caveland.net