Re: calculate saving ratio of *link bandwidth*

From: Jaeho Yang <jhyang@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 21:36:52 +0900 (KST)

> You're asking how to reconcile an IP/octet count such as SNMP counts on
> interfaces, or netflow/netramet/nnstat counts, against the applications
> only view?

  I'm trying to find how many link bandwidth saved via transparent proxy.

  By simple looking, I made MRTG for traffic served. The method is followings.

    1. I got the total transaction bytes and hit bytes in real-time by
       analysing squid log.
    2. I made MRTG graph, because I want to get similar result like router box.
    3. I investigate the traffic of output interface connected with
       transparent cache(s).

    (2) The result is: <-- real sample (5 minute sample)
          Total: 400 kbps
          Hit bytes: 180 kbps

    (3) The traffic is: 1400 kbps

  1400 kbps contains "request traffic to real web servers from cache", but
  I think that traffic is small.

  So *roughly* speaking the *IP/TCP/HTTP* overhead is *nearly* double or
  *triple* than *the result via squid log*.

  It is not 10%, but nearly <100 %.

  All back-ward "ACK"(it contains no data, only overhead) and all packet
  has 40+ bytes (IP head + TCP head). I'm not sure, but the requests of
  HTTP header were sent by lines.

  I'll get more detail statistics from NetFlow soon.

  --Thanks for your reply.

  --J