Re: FTP in Squid

From: Daryl Lim <dlim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 22:56:42 +0000

> Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 23:51:58 +0100
> Subject: Re: FTP in Squid
> To: Daryl Lim <dlim@ihug.co.nz>
> From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@hem.passagen.se>
> Cc: squid-users@nlanr.net

> Daryl Lim wrote:
>
> > But I find Squid handles FTP Auth better or correctly than NetCache.
>
> Thanks ;-)

No Problem .. I still find Squid and other GNU or freeware software much better
than some $$$ stuff ..

If you would like to know why I run NetCache as well is that I have to satisfy
higher up that I am not "crazy" using free software that isn't as good as $$$
software...NOT!. Also it's to teach others how to configure the proxy and how
the proxy system works . As through the menu interface they can first start the
basics then once that is done and comfortable.

I show them that cofiguring squid is just like configuring NetCache without the
fancy interface .. Of course squid is also more fun :)

> If you like FTP in 1.1.X, then look out for 1.2. The ftp support is
> improved quite a bit.
>
> ps. 1.2 is still in early beta. Can't recommended it for production at
> the moment, but you are more than welcome to test it in test systems.

Already running 1.2Beta8 for a few weeks now successfully ... Though at a
different port .. and currently I'm the only one using it . When I'm dial in.
Looks good so far and stable .. I like the planned URN: support for
finding the fastest mirror ..

Just one suggestion . I would like to have a option that checks for if the file
that the user is trying to download already exist in a special directory . So
some of my clients when they try downloading large files like netscape etc ..
It will be retrieved from that directory rather than from Netscape site ..

Some of my users don't understand or get what a local ftp site is for :) ...
I have tried the redirector included with squid and it doesn't seem to either
work or like me :)..

Daryl,

-=>Daryl Lim<=- -| email : daryl@genesis.pakuranga.school.nz
                 | WWW : http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~dlim/

         -=> PGP 5.0i Key Available On Request <=-