Re: squid neigbour response

From: David J N Begley <david@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:58:31 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Richard Munro wrote:

> A few days ago I switched back to the VM version and the complaints
> stopped. In fact, people have been stopping me in the hall asking what I
> did that improved the performance so radically. Nothing, other than
> switching versions.

FWIW, I haven't been noticing any "unusual slow-downs"{*} and am running
the original VM version (with 512Mb RAM on an Ultra E2/2170 - dedicated
to Squid).

{*} The usual stuff is when the network (either internally or externally)
    goes slow - nothing Squid can do about that. Also under Solaris 2.5.1
    ensure you either aren't running "nscd", or have *explicitly* told it
    not to cache host lookups. Check to ensure your "dnsserver" processes
    aren't all in the "busy" state.

I don't think the problem is particularly peer-related, as I'm running
with the default peer timeout talking to nine (9) peer proxies, all of
which are a minimum of six (6) slow router hops away.

We're in the same "network neighbourhood" as Macquarie and UTS and prima
facie, our response stats are a little slower than theirs (because our
proxy is further into our network, over WAN links, past routers, &c.);
but anecdotally from the users' perspective, the proxy is generally
"pretty brisk".

> I'm just mentioning this in case it helps...

Ditto..

David J. N. Begley <d.begley@nepean.uws.edu.au>
Network Analyst, Communications Unit
University of Western Sydney, Nepean