Re: [RFC] 3.4 release timetable

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 00:00:51 +1200

On 1/06/2013 3:02 a.m., Alex Rousskov wrote:

>>> As 2.7 feature parity this one is eligible for consideration as a
>>> back-ports where other features are not.
>>>
>>> If this feature in a state that would be happy submitting a non-SMP
>>> version for 3.4 with SMP support coming later? There are quite a few
>>> installations of 2.7 needing this feature that would be able to cope
>>> with non-SMP for a bit longer in exchange for all the other 3.x
>>> benefits. They will be forced to wait even longer without those other
>>> 3.x benefits as it is now.
>> Any update/answers to that?
>
> No significant changes. We had to suspend collapsed forwarding work for
> a while, but are actively working on it now. I hope to post the changes
> for review in approximately ten days.
>
> We will not be splitting changes into non-SMP and SMP parts so if you
> want collapsed forwarding support in v3.4, then your choices include:
>
> 1. Waiting for the completion of that project before you branch (will
> also give you Large Rock in v3.4).
>
> 2a. Porting the whole thing (including Large Rock) to v3.4 after your
> branch.
>
> 2b. Separating Large Rock changes from non-SMP collapsed forwarding
> support and porting the latter to v3.4 after you branch. This would
> require even more work than #2a, especially if Large Rock changes
> include general Store-related improvements that non-SMP collapsed
> forwarding needs.
>
> I recommend option #1 because it reduces overheads, but it is your call.
> I know Factory can do #1, but, at this time, I do not know whether we
> will be able to do #2a or #2b (which is one more reason #1 looks
> attractive to me).

(mumble, mumble, delays). We are now up to 5+ larg-ish features with the
oldest one having been waiting on trunk for >7 months now. So I will
give it a short while for some more stability and polishing, but not a lot.

On other news, you may have noticed the release notes draft being
updated. Please check through the section on Annotations, I'm not sure I
fully understand how they interact with ICAP so the text may be
incorrect, and eCAP seems to be completely undocumented.

Amos