[RFC] byte hit ratio

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:01:07 +1300

We have a long history of questions and bugs mentioning negative
numbers in the byte hit ratio.

I've always thought it was a bug we had not tracked down, but the FAQ
says it is correct.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/InnerWorkings#Why_do_I_see_negative_byte_hit_ratio.3F

I've discussed this with a professional statistician I work with and
she agrees the algorithm is not calculating hit ratio as per our
definition of what a HIT is. What is does seem to be calculating is a
net traffic GAIN ratio.

What I propose is make the numbers reported as HIT ratios use the same
algorithm. The current request ratio one. And to add alongside this a
record for Gain/Loss Ratio as output by this byte calculation.

Amos