Re: Patch to add netfilter mark support

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 02:23:38 +0000

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:06:50 -0600, Alex Rousskov
<rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com> wrote:

>>> Ah yes, you can specify multiple NAME values. Funnily enough, this is
>>> already the case for tcp_outgoing_tos, which is also known as
>>> tcp_outgoing_ds and tcp_outgoing_dscp. The disadvantage of this is
that
>>> it doesn't display a deprecated warning.

>>> How about I change the "default" name to serverside_tos, and leave
>>> tcp_outgoing_tos with tcp_outgoing_ds and tcp_outgoing_dscp as an
>>> accepted name?
>>
>> Or maybe they should be serverside_outgoing_tos and
>> clientside_outgoing_tos to make it even clearer?
>
> IMHO, "outgoing" is a bad term because its meaning changes depending on
> whether you are a forward or reverse proxy.
>
> Similarly, "serverside" is bad because that is what developers call the
> client side of Squid.
>
> from_client, to_server, etc. do not come with the above problems.

Oh dear. Disagreement in the ranks ;). Status-quo: leave it as-is for this
patch. We can argue this out and get a better model in.

What I'd really like to see in the future is completion of the "flows"
concept:

  qos_flows tos [flags] [ allow|deny [acl acl ...] ]

That is a rather larger change to both config and underlying code which
won't make it into 3.2.

Amos