Re: [Squid Web Proxy Wiki] Update of "Features/ConfigureInRefactoring" by FrancescoChemolli

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:29:15 +1300

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/ConfigureInRefactoring?action=diff&rev1=2&rev2=3

> Comment:
> added some case notes
>

> RobertCollins suggests to also include making use of
> [[https://edge.launchpad.net/pandora-build|Pandora Build]], a set of
> cross-project and cross-system configuration resources.
>
> +
> + '''Case notes'''
> +
> + In order to further modularize configure.in it would be useful to
split
> some helper definition files out of configure.in itself, to an included
> modular file. A name for such file is to be defined, at the moment it's
> named {{{squidinclude.m4}}}, to be included from {{{configure.in}}} (and
> not from {{{aclocal.m4}}}, because in this case
> + the inclusion would happen too soon).
> +
> + As a first attempt I've successfully extracted the
> AC_TEST_CHECKFORHUGEOBJECTS call, which is now much cleaner and well
> layered. It includes compiler detection, caching and a generic
> infrastructure for compiler arguments detection.

 * local Squid-provided helper macros are currently defined in
acinclude.m4

The only improvement we could make to that design is to upgrade to the
style of a folder full of macro files. One macro per file with author
copyright etc attached.

Yes, some chunks of configure.in should be isolated and moved into bundled
macros instead.

 * HUGEOBJECTS was already one such macro. How are you changing things
there?

Amos