Re: [MERGE] WCCPv2 Config Cleanup

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 21:59:47 +1200

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Amos, why are you pushing through changes to the WCCP configuration
> stuff at this point in the game?

All the magic numbers in the squid.conf have been bugging me for a
while. There seems to have been a renewed interest in getting WCCP
configs right since Tproxy v4 stuff went in that uses it.

This one was easy and isolated, so I went and did it early.
It's back-compatible, so people don't have to use the new names if they
like. But its clearer for the newbies until the big cleanup you mention
below is stable.

> The WCCPv2 stuff works fine (for what it does); it could do with some
> better documentation but what it really needs is to be broken out from
> Squid itself and run as a seperate daemon.

I've been waiting most of a year for your work on that direction in
Squid-2 to be ported over. There does not appear to be any sign of it
happening in time for 3.1.
The rest of us are largely concentrating on cleaning other components.