Re: Migrating to Subversion

From: Guido Serassio <guido.serassio@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:58:26 +0200

Hi Alex,

At 18.34 05/10/2007, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> > I don't have the experience to compare CVS vs. svn, but I know that a
> > detail must be verified: on Windows, native svn client and server are
> > available, but there is a problem.
> > They are native Windows applications, so they don't run very well
> > into the MSYS+MinGW environment, and this is the only free native
> > build environment available that can be used with Squid.
> > In theory this should not be a problem: simply run svn from Windows
> > CMD prompt and build Squid from the bash shell of MSYS. But what
> > happens with CR+LF line terminators ?
> > Using CVS, files checked out from Windows CMD are in Windows format,
> > while files checked out from MSYS shell are in Unix format, and using
> > MSYS (like in Linux), when the files are in Windows format, the build
> > will fail.
> >
> > Someone has already tried something similar on Windows ?
>
>FWIW, I am using SmartSVN on Windows. I believe a free version can do
>all the basic manipulations and the full version is under $50. I am not
>sure what you mean by "don't run very well into the MSYS+MinGW
>environment" so perhaps SmartSVN has the same problem as the native svn
>client and server you mentioned above.

Usually "native" Windows application are built with a CMD command
line environment in mind, while msys application are built with a
bash shell in mind. So "DOS" CVS fails to run on MSYS while the MSYS
CVS runs fine using CMD.

>Subversion knows about the end-of-line terminators and have knobs to
>control them. I do not know whether they work in MSYS environment, but I
>suspect they do.

Sure, but the question is: when we run svn from a CMD prompt, can svn
override the native Windows text format without problems for the
repository also during commit ?

Regards

Guido

-
Guido Serassio
Acme Consulting S.r.l. - Microsoft Certified Partner
Via Lucia Savarino, 1 10098 - Rivoli (TO) - ITALY
Tel. : +39.011.9530135 Fax. : +39.011.9781115
Email: guido.serassio@acmeconsulting.it
WWW: http://www.acmeconsulting.it/