Re: Squid-2.6 & WCCP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 19:08:10 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Reuben Farrelly wrote:

> I would very much like to see wccpv2 in as well but unfortunately don't think
> there is any mature code really there for it yet. It seems to be something
> that is often asked about and useful in larger installations.

WCCPv1 gets you quite far in terms of HTTP proxying however.. The benefits
of WCCPv2 is mainly if you need to intercept additional protocols.

Then Cisco also claims that WCCPv2 is required in order to be able to
register with multiple routers, but this is mainly an administrative thing
within the cache software and not so dependent on the WCCP protocol
version as such and probably comes from the fact that their cache software
only supports this when using WCCPv2 (WCCPv2 does make such
implementations slightly easier however, but only marginally, and the
Squid WCCPv1 implementation only supports a single router..).

To get into 2.6 I'd say there needs to be a fairly stable implementation
contributed within the next month or so. This applies to any feature
wishing to get into the 2.6 release. Once Squid-2.6 gets into PRE state no
new features will be allowed, and the intention is to go into PRE shortly
after all the already completed candidates have been merged.

Regards
Henrik