Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: Antwort: [Mod_gzip] Vary: header and mod_gzip

From: Anil Madhavapeddy <anil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 00:58:01 +0100

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:59:43PM +0200, Michael.Schroepl@telekurs.de wrote:

> > If I remember correctly, mod_gzip doesn't currently
> > browser-sniff to determine any broken browsers making
> > requests, so it should probably only emit the 'Vary:
> > Accept-Encoding' header.
>
> mod_gzip is doing what you make it do, using its
> configuration rule set.
>
> There is a very powerful configuration rule, the
> "mod_gzip_item_include reqheader".
> You can simply use _every_ HTTP header you like
> to make to compression of mod_gzip depending on it.

Thanks for the explanation Michael - so ideally, the
Vary header that mod_gzip emits should be constructed
from the request headers it touches using these rules.

Forgive me if I've missed the point of the discussions,
but is this the general consensus so far?

I took the expedient way out last year by putting in the
Vary: AE header since most HTTP caches back then just
passed range requests through. Now, with Squid and
NetCache and others getting the ability to cache them,
I guess we need to be more precise about things.

Anil