Re: squid internal DNS weirdness?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:51:58 +0100

Kurt J. Lidl wrote:

> > Sidenote: The 0.0.0.0 notion is not an "official" standard for
> > addressing the local machine, but works on most OS:es regardless..
>
> Actually, read section 3.3.6 of RFC1122 (Host Requirements). It
> falls into the category of "Limited Broadcast". That's about as
> "official standard" as it gets.

And is why 0.0.0.0 is NOT an official standard for addressing the local
machine (limited broadcast is NOT the same as the local machine, it is
the local NETWORK)

And 0.0.0.0 is a non-standard "Limited Broadcast" address, which should
not be used but servers should accept queries on such addresses if they
do occur.

And to show you that the 0.0.0.0 == localhost notation is even more
unstandard. In this context, the address is used for unicast
transmission, not broadcast.

When you query a DNS server you SHOULD do a direct query, not a
broadcast query. This so you know which DNS server to expect results
from.

Yes, I agree that we can add a warning about the 0.0.0.0 usage in Squid.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid hacker